Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
North Block, New Delhi-110001.
Dated the 4th January, 2013.
Subject:- Nomination of Liaison Officer and Setting up of Cell in each Ministry/ Department for enforcement of orders of reservations in posts and services of the Central Government.
The undersigned is directed to say that the instructions have been issued by the Department of Personnel and Training from time tri time for nomination of Liaison Officers, their roles, duties & responsibilities and setting up of a Special Reservation Cell in each Ministry/ Department under the direct control of the Liaison Officer for enforcement of orders of reservation in posts and services of the Central Government.
2. It is reiterated that in each Ministry/Department/Attached and Subordinate Office, the Deputy Secretary in charge' . of administration (or any other Officer at least of the rank of Deputy Secretary) should be designated as a Liaison Officer in respect of Scheduled Tribes the representation of the Scheduled Castes, and Persons with Disabilities. Similarly, instructions provide for nomination of separate Liaison Officer in Ministries/ Departments in respect of matters relating to the representation of the Other Backward Classes.
3. The provisions about Liaison Officer, his role, responsibilities, control etc. and setting up of reservation cell is contained in Annexure.
4. All Ministries/ Departments are requested to bring the contents of this O.M. to the notice of all the attached and subordinate offices under their control and also ensure that the cells are set up expeditiously in the Ministry/ Department and in Attached/ Subordinate offices under administrative control of Heads of Department.
(Sharad Kumar Srivastava)
Under Secretary to the Government of India
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LIAISON OFFICER
1. The Liaison Officer is especially responsible for:
(i) Ensuring due compliance by the subordinate appointing authorities with . the orders and instructions pertaining to the reservation of vacancies in favour of the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and the Persons with Disabilities/ the Other Backward Classes and other benefits admissible to them.
(ii) Ensuring timely submission of SC/ST/OBC and PwD Reports I and II by each appointment authority in the Ministry/ Department concerned and ensuring scrutiny and consolidation of the above reports in respect of all establishments and services in and under the control of the Ministry/Department and sending the consolidated reports in the prescribed proformae to the Department of Personnel & Training.
(iii) The Liasion officers have to endorse the non-availability of an SC/ST/OBC Officer for being associated in the DPC before actually convening the DPC. Therefore, it will be one of the duties of the Liaison Officers to acquaint themselves well in time about the dates of various . DPCs which will be held in future. He should have with him a ready list of officer of various levels belonging to SC/S 1 of a few sister Departments/ Ministries so that whenever requirement arises, an SC/ST officer of appropriate level consistent with the level of the other members of the DPC and the level of appointment for which a DPC is proposed to be convened, can always be associated as a member. Such a list may be prepared by the Liaison Officers by informally consulting the administrative wing of other Ministries/Departments.
(iv) Ensuring that while making a reference to the Department of Personnel and Training and to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes/the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes for de-reservation of reserved vacancies, full details in support of the proposal for dereservation are given.
(v) Ensuring the extension of necessary assistance to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes in the investigation of complaints received by the Commission, in regard to service matters and in the collection of information for their annual reports.
(vi) Conducting annual inspection of the reservation registers/rosters maintained in the Ministry/ Department/ Offices under the control of the Ministry/Department with a view to ensuring proper implementation of the reservation orders.
(vii) Acting as Liaison Officer between the Ministry/Department and the Department of Personnel & Training for supply of other information, answering questions and queries and clearing doubts in regard to matters covered by the reservation orders.
2. Each Ministry/Department is required to set up a Special Reservation Cell within the Ministry/Department under the direct control of the Liaison Officer to assist the Liaison Officer in discharging of his duties effectively.
PRIVILEGES OF THE LIAISON OFFICER:
3. Cases of negligence or lapse in the matter of following the reservation and other orders relating to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, the Persons with Disabilities and the Other Backward Classes coming to the light through the inspections carried out by the Liaison Officer or otherwise, should be reported/ submitted by him to the Secretary/Additional Secretary to the Government of India in the respective Ministry/ Department or to the Head of the Department in respect of offices under the Heads of Department, as the case may be. The concerned Secretary/Additional Secretary/Head of the Department shall pass necessary orders on such reports to ensure strict compliance of the reservation orders by the appointing authority concerned.
LIAISON OFFICERS IN PSUs etc.
4. Each Public Sector Undertaking, Statutory and Semi Government Body, Autonomous Body/ Institution including Municipal Corporations, Co-operative Institutions, Universities, Voluntary Agencies receiving grants in aid from the Government connected with appointment and promotion of the SC/ST candidates should appoint Liaison Officer in the same manner as is existing in the. Ministries/Departments.
SPAN OF CONTROL OF LIAISON' OFFICER OF MINISTRIES/DEPARTMENTS:
5. The Liaison Officer of a Ministry/Department has to act as Liaison Officer in respect of the matters relating to the representation Castes/Scheduled Tribes/PWDs and OBCs in all establishments and services under the administrative control of the Ministry/Department. The instructions issued by the Department of Public Enterprise's provide that each undertaking shall have Liaison Officer with functions similar to that of the Liaison Officer in Ministry/ Department. The appointment of Liaison Officer in the undertaking does not, however, dilute or alter or curtail the responsibilities of the Liaison Officer of the administrative Ministry/ Department in regard to implementation of reservation policy in the Undertaking. Liaison Officers of the Ministries/ Departments have special responsibility to monitor implementation of reservation in their attached & subordinate offices, Autonomous Bodies, PSUs under the administrative control of the concerned Ministry/Department and Voluntary Agencies which are getting substantial grant-in-aid from the Government of India. In order to ensure due compliance of the reservation orders of the Government, the Liaison Officers may periodically visit/ inspect the offices/organizations under them. They should ensure that reservation roster for SCs/STs/OBCs/PHs have been maintained properly and there is no gap in the entries made in the rosters. Liaison Officers should carry out their duties in relation to reservation by calling for the records from them and by convening the meetings of the officer of such organizations who are responsible for ensuring reservation in organizations under their control. If Liaison Officers of Ministries/Departments notice that there is flouting of reservation instructions by any officers or complaint against any officer of harassment or deliberate manipulating things to damage the interests of the weaker sections they should feel free to report such lapses to the Secretary/ Additional Secretary of the Ministry/Department concerned without fear & hesitation of hierarchical disobedience.
Subscribe to Central Government Employee News & Tools by Email [Click Here]
Follow us: Twitter [click here] | Facebook [click here] | Google+ [click here]