Draft INDIAN POST OFFICE RULES, 2020: Public Notice for Suggestions/ feedback/ comments/ input views
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
New Delhi- 110 001
Dated: 8th September, 2020
SUBJECT: SEEKING SUGGESTIONS/FEEDBACK/COMMENTS/INPUTS VIEWS FROM GENERAL PUBLIC/STAKEHOLDERS ON THE DRAFT “INDIAN POST OFFICE RULES, 2020”
The Central Government proposes to make a new set of Indian Post Office Rules, 2020 (IPO Rules, 2020) which will be in supersession of IPO Rules, 1933.
2. With the passage of time and induction of technology, the working of the Post Office has changed significantly since 1933, so there is a need for a new set of rules in sync with the today’s environment.
3. In the new set of IPO Rules, 2020. some new rules have been framed, obsolete rules have been deleted from and many rules have been re framed/modified in sync with the present scenario. The Indian Post Office Rules, 2020 will be a new set of Rules which will govern the functioning of the post offices henceforth.
4. In the context of the above, the draft of proposed IPO Rules,2020 is hereby notified for information, seeking suggestions/feedback/comments/inputs/views from general public/stakeholders/customers. Notice is hereby given that the suggestions/feedback/comments/inputs/views received with regard to the said draft IPO Rules, 2020 will be taken into consideration till 6:00 p.m. of 9th October, 2020.
5. Suggestions/Feedback/Comments/lnputsN iews, if any, may be addressed to Ms. Sukriti Gupta, Assistant Director General (Postal Operations, Room No. 340, Third Floor, Oak Bhawan, Sansad Marg, New Delhi-110001, Tel. 011-23096005, email:- adgpo[at]indiapost.gov.in
6. Suggestions/Feedback/Comments/lnputs Views are solicited from general public/stakeholders/users of post offices as it will make the Indian Post Office Rules more comprehensible and public friendly. Over the years, the post office has reinvented itself and has been at the forefront of delivering the various products/services to meet the needs of customers across the country. This is a further attempt to be more responsive towards general public/stakeholders/customers.
Enclosure:- Draft IPO Rules 2020
Assistant Director General (Postal Operations)
The following information need to be furnished along with the document (attachment) to be uploaded in India Post website:
Proforma for uploading document on India Post Website
|SI. No.||Subject||Document/ Order No.
|Start Date||End Date||Document Category||Sub Category||Content Author|
Seeking suggestions/ feedback/ comments/ inputs/ views from general public/stakeholders on the draft “Indian Post Office Rules, 2020”
|30-02/2020-WS dated 8.9.2020||8.9.2020||9.10.2020
|Notice||Postal Operations||Sukriti Gupta, ADG(PO)|
Draft Indian Post Office Rules, 2020
Issued by the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, Government of India under Notification No. ……………………. dated, New Delhi, the ………………………………..
GSR No. ……………. – In exercise of the powers conferred by the Indian Post Office Act, 1898 under section 74, the Central Government makes the following rules, to have effect from the date of its publication in official gazette. These rules shall be issued in supersession of existing Indian Post Office Rules, 1933 and shall be called as Indian Post Office Rules, 2020.
|SL NO.||PART NO.||
NAME OF PART
|2||II||FEATURES OF POSTAL ARTICLES & SERVICES AND MAIN CONDITIONS OF TRANSMISSION OF POSTAL ARTICLES|
|I. INLAND POSTAL ARTICLES& SERVICES
II. FOREIGN POSTAL ARTICLES& SERVICES
OTHER FEATURES OF AIR MAIL ARTICLES
|3||III||OFFICIAL POSTAL ARTICLES
I. INLAND OFFICIAL POSTAL ARTICLES POSTAL BALLOT
II. FOREIGN OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE
|4||IV||VALUE ADDED SERVICES
I. REGISTRATION OF POSTAL ARTICLES
II. INSURANCE OF POSTAL ARTICLES
III. VALUE PAYABLE POST & CASH ON DELIVERY(COD) ARTICLES
I. INLAND MONEY ORDERS
II. FOREIGN MONEY ORDER
|INDIAN POSTAL ORDERS
I. PREPAYMENT OF POSTAGE AND OTHER CHARGES OF POSTAL ARTICLES
II. PRICE OF STAMPS
III. LATE LETTERS, POST CARDS OR PACKETS
IV. REDELIVERY TO THE SENDER OR ALTERATION OR CORRECTIONS OF ADDRESS OF POSTAL ARTICLES IN THE COURSE OF TRANSMISSION BY POST
V. DETENTION AND DISPOSAL OF UNDELIVERED POSTAL ARTICLES
VI. AUTHORISING POSTAL OFFICIALS TO SEARCH FOR AND TO INTERCEPT CERTAIN PROHIBITED ARTICLES
VII. INTRODUCTION AND(OR) DISCONTINUATION OF PRODUCTS & SERVICES
VIII. ROLE IN DISASTER MITIGATION & RELIEF
IX. REDIRECTION OF POSTAL ARTICLES
X. SUSPENSION OR RESTRICTION OF TRANSMISSION OF POSTAL ARTICLES
XI. RECOVERY OF DUES IN RESPECT OF UNPAID AND INSUFFICIENTLY PAID ARTICLES
|9||IX||PROHIBITIONS OF POSTAL ARTICLES
I. INLAND POSTAL ARTICLES& SERVICES
II. TREATMENT OF POSTAL ARTICLES FROM ABROAD BEARING FICTITIOUS OR PREVIOUSLY USED STAMPS
|10||X||RATES OF POSTAGE/TARIFF|
|I. INLAND POSTAL ARTICLES & SERVICES
II. FOREIGN POSTAL ARTICLES & SERVICES
(all rules of Preliminary are newly inserted)
1. Short title and commencement :
(1) These Rules may be called the Indian Post Office Rules, 2020.
(2) They shall come in to force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Definitions :
(a) “Act” means Indian Post Office Act (IPO), 1898.
(b) “Rule” means a rule of the Indian Post Office Rules, 2020.
(c) “Director General Postal Services” means Director General Postal Services or the person authorised by the Central Government for exercising the powers of Director General Postal Services.
(d) “Head of the Circle” means Chief Postmaster General or the person exercising the powers of Chief Postmaster General concerned.
(e) “Head of the Region” means Postmaster General concerned or the person exercising the powers of Postmaster General concerned.
(f) “Director Postal Services” means Director in Region, Circle Headquarters, Mails & Business Development, Foreign Post, General Post Offices etc. or the person exercising the powers of Director concerned.
(g) “Head of Division” means Senior Superintendent/Superintendent of Postal/RMS Division or the person exercising the powers of Senior Superintendent/Superintendent of Postal/RMS Division concerned.
(h) “Postmaster” means Chief Postmaster of General Post Office/ Sr. Postmaster/ Head Postmaster of Head Office or the person exercising the powers of Postmaster, as the case may be, who will be the Head of such Post Office.
(i) “Letter Box” means box installed in the post offices/mail offices, in public places and in mobile post offices for posting of fully prepaid letters, postcards, inland letter cards & packets.
(j) “Sender” means a person who intends to send all kinds of mail including parcels etc. with the intention of passing information to others
(k) “Addressee” means intended recipient or the person to whom all kinds of mail including parcels etc. is to be delivered.
(l) “Remitter” means a person or institution who intends to send money through Money remittance services.
(m) “Payee” means a person or institution who intends to receive the money through money remittance services.
Read further Click here to view/download the PDF