Introduction of ‘Applied Mathematics (241)’ as an Academic Elective at Senior Secondary Level: CBSE Circular
केन्द्रीय माध्यमिक शिक्षा बोर्ड
CENTRAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION
Circular No Acad-22/ 2020
All Heads of Institutions affiliated to CBSE
Subject: Introduction of ‘Applied Mathematics (241)’ as an Academic Elective at Senior Secondary Level
As part of Systemic Reforms, National Curriculum Framework 2005 recommends that Subjects such as Mathematics and English could be examined at two levels; standard and higher level. In the long term, all subjects could be offered at two levels with students doing at least three/two of the six at standard level and the remaining three/ four at higher level. As per this recommendation, Board has already offered two levels of examinations in Mathematics at secondary level.
As Secondary School Education prepares students to explore future career options after graduating from the school, Mathematics is an important subject which helps students to choose various fields of their choices. Mathematics is widely used in higher studies in the field of Economics, Commerce, Social Sciences and many others. It has been observed that the existing syllabus of Mathematics aligns well with Science subjects, but does not align well with Commerce or Social Science-based subjects in university education. By keeping this in mind, one more elective course in Mathematics syllabus will be offered for Sr. Secondary classes with an aim to provide students relevant experience in Mathematics which can be used in the fields other than Physical Sciences.
A course by this name was earlier designed as a skill subject. The academic course that has been designed now by the same name has several value additions to develop substantial mathematical skills and methods needed in other subject areas. Topics covered in two years shall aim to enable students to use mathematical knowledge in the field of business, economics and social sciences. It aims to promote appreciation of mathematical power and simplicity for its countless applications in diverse field. It is expected that the new subject of Applied Mathematics is taught by connecting concepts to the application in various fields, thereby enabling students to develop 21st century competencies such as critical thinking, problem solving, logical reasoning, mathematical thinking, etc.
a) To develop an understanding of basic mathematical and statistical tools and their applications in the field of commerce (business/finance/economics) and social sciences;
b) To model real world experiences/problems into mathematical expressions using numerical/algebraic/graphical representation;
f) To make connections between Mathematics and other disciplines.
Therefore, as per the recommendations of the Curriculum Committee of the Board, and duly approved by the Governing body, CBSE is introducing a new Academic Elective at Senior. Secondary level named as ‘Applied Mathematics (Code No. 241)’ starting from the current Academic Year, that is from 2020-21 session for Class XI. The details of this scheme are as under:
- The course can be opted for the class XI students from this Academic year (2020-21) as an Academic elective.
- Students who want to opt for higher studies in Mathematics at the University level as an Elective or want to take admission in Mathematics Honours course or Engineering course may take Mathematics (041). The Applied Mathematics (241) course is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of Mathematics that are required to be successful in different fields of their future career. Therefore this course may be selected by students keeping this aspect in mind.
- Students, Parents and Schools may take a conscious choice in selection of this subject by taking into consideration the scope of this subject in getting admission to different courses at University level.
- Approach of Applied Mathematics subject will be practical in nature and the students are expected to learn through practical applications of Mathematics in different disciplines.
- In view of introduction of Applied Mathematics as an Academic elective, the students who have passed Basic Mathematics (241) in class X are now allowed to offer the new academic elective Applied Mathematics (241) at Senior Secondary Level.
- Accordingly, the students who have passed Basic Mathematics (241) as well as Standard Mathematics (041) in Class X of CBSE exam are eligible for this course. However, it is once again clarified that students who have passed Mathematics-Basic (241) at Secondary level are not eligible to opt for Mathematics (041) at Sr. Secondary Level.
- The affiliated schools who have permission for running Mathematics course in their school at Sr. Secondary Level shall be automatically eligible to run this course with the availability of necessary infrastructure and human resources.
- The detailed modalities for opting this subject shall be made available at the time of registration for this course at class XI.
It may be noted that those students who have earlier offered Applied Mathematics as a Skill Elective will offer Applied Mathematics as an Academic Elective in the current year 2020-21 for class XII. They have to follow the syllabus of Applied Mathematics offered as an Academic subject. Applied Mathematics Course will not be available from the current Academic Session 2020-21 as Skill subject.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)on introduction of Applied Mathematics at Senior Secondary level are enclosed for ready reference. Support material, Design of question papers and Sample Question Papers for this subject will be made available on www.cbseacademic.nic.in in due course of time.
(Dr. Joseph Emmanuel)
Encl : Frequently Asked Questions on introduction of Applied Mathematics