CMEI Report 18.9 million salaried job loss in the country during April to July 2020: DoPT’s statement thereon
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 442
TO BE ANSWERED ON 16.09.2020
SALARIED JOB LOSS IN THE COUNTRY
442. SHRI RAVI PRAKASH VERMA:
Will the Minister of Labour and Employment be pleased to state:
(a)whether as per the recent report of Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE) 18.9 million salaried job loss have been reported in the country during April to July 2020;
(b)if so, the details thereof, month-wise, State-wise and sectorwise;
(c)the reasons for failure of Government to check salaried job loss in the country; and
(d)the steps Government would take to provide salaried jobs to youths of the country?
MINISTER OF STATE (IC) FOR LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
(SHRI SANTOSH KUMAR GANGWAR)
(a) to (c): For framing Government policies only official data are used and data captured by Non-Government agencies are not referred.
(d): Employment generation coupled with improving employability of the youth is the priority concern of the Government. Government has taken various steps for generating employment in the country like encouraging private sector of economy, fast-tracking various projects involving substantial investment and increasing public expenditure on schemes such as Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP), Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS), Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY) and Deendayal Antodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
Government has also implemented the National Career Service (NCS) Project as a Mission Mode Project for transformation of the National Employment Service to provide a variety of employment related services like job matching, career counselling, vocational guidance, information on skill development courses, apprenticeship, internships, etc.
Pradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMRPY) was launched in 2016 with the objective to incentivise employers for creation of new employment with social security benefits. Under the scheme, Government of India is paying Employer’s full contribution i.e. 12% towards EPF and EPS both (as admissible from time to time) for a period of three years to the new employees through EPFO w.e.f. 01.04.2018. The terminal date for registration of beneficiary through establishment was 31st March 2019. The beneficiaries registered upto 31st March, 2019 will continue to receive the benefits for 3 years from the date of registration under the scheme. As on 31st August, 2020, 1.21 crone beneficiaries have been benefitted through 1.52 lakh establishments.
Ministry of Labour & Employment is also implementing PMGKY through EPFO under PMGKY, Government of India is contributing both 12% employers’ share and 12% share under Employees Provident Fund (EPF), totaling 24% for the wage month from March — August, 2020 for all the establishments having upto 100 employees with 90% of such employees earning less than Rs. 15,000/-.