International Articles Booking Guidelines Issued By India Post As Per UPU Regulations Dtd 30.09.2020 || IR & GB Division
e File No 71-13/2020-CF
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
(IR & GB Division)
Dak Bhawan, New Delhi-110001
All Heads of Circles
Subject — Booking of International Articles.
References and complaints have been received from airlines and different countries regarding booking and dispatch of prohibited/ restricted items without proper check, documentation and with incomplete or wrong CN (Customs) information.
2. As per the latest UPU regulations all countries will migrate to digital sharing of CN information soon. Therefore, complete and correct data capture by postal assistants at counter while booking of International article is necessary.
3. In order to ensure proper and correct booking, all counter PAs/ SPMs booking International Articles need to be sensitized to follow the following steps while booking International merchandise article.
a) Booking PA at the counter must see an original valid iD proof and obtain a self attested copy of same.
b) Copy of identity proof must be kept in record along with the tracking number for 6 months from the date of booking.
c) Consignor should be requested to provide his/her mobile number as well as of the consignee on the article itself. The mobile no. should if provided should be entered into the system under appropriate field. However mentioning mobile number of consignor/ consignee is not mandatory.
d) Booking person must ensure that correct CN form with entries under the relevant fields are filled and pasted properly on the consignment.
- CN 22 for a letter post item whose contents are of value upto 300 SDR.
- CN 23 for each parcel and for letter post item whose content exceeds 300 SDR.
(One SDR = Rs 97.7828 for 2020 )
e) Booking person must capture complete and correct information (Name & Address of sender & addressee, information available on CN-22/CN-23) in PoS module.
f) In-case pre-filled CN form is not affixed by the consignor, there is an option for printing of CN forms from PoS module after booking of article. All data can be filled property and then CN form can be printed and pasted on consignment with signature of consignor on that.
g) Booking person must remain vigilant during booking of international Articles with respect to booking of prohibited/ restricted item, details of which are available under the heading “Narcotics Drugs, Dangerous Goods and country specific prohibitions/restrictions” in PoS module of CSI.
h) For even slight doubt on content or authenticity of CN information, booking person may ask for examination of real content of consignment being booked and may refuse to accept booking in case of non-compliance of the same by the consignor.
i) Excel sheet supplied by BNPL/ bulk customers for direct uploading in PoS module of CSI needs to be scrutinized properly by the dealing official before uploading of data into PoS.
j) BNPWU Bulk customers shall be informed to refrain from booking any items which is not allowed and to book any restricted items with required documents. Suitable action may be initiated against bulk customers who do not refrain from booking of prohibited items/ restricted items without proper documentations.
k) Provision of CCTV surveillance and recording may be made with preservation period of at least 2 months for booking of international articles.
i) Details of prohibited/ restricted items and CN forms should be displayed through information boards.
4. Inspecting and visiting officials should ensure about proper follow up of above mentioned instructions and note down relevant remarks in this regard during their visits and inspections.
(Ram Naresh Sikaria)
Assistant Director General (IM-II)