Transfer of Accounts after the death of member for calculation of Assurance Benefit under EDLI Scheme, 1976: EPFO Order 25.11.2023
EMPLOYEES PROVIDENT FUND ORGANISATION
MINISTRY OF LABOUR & EMPLOYMENT, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
Bhavishva Nidhi Bhawan. 14. Bhikaiji Cama Place, New Delhi 110066
No. Pension/EDLI Matters/2023 /2168
Date: 25 NOV 2023
All Addl. CPFCs, Zonal Office,
All RPFCs/OICs, Regional Office.
Sub: – Transfer of Accounts after the death of member for calculation of Assurance Benefit under EDLI Scheme, 1976.
Several instances have come to the notice of Head Office that in the settlement of EDLI claims of the deceased members, beneficiaries are receiving very less amount.
2. While analyzing the data on settlement of death claims it has been observed that in several cases the deceased members had multiple PF ids (A/cs) linked to their respective UAN. This makes verification of previous membership of the deceased member from the MIS a prerequisite before settling the death claims, as this facility is not available in F.O interface or the application software. If this manual verification from MIS is not done, then benefits to the intended beneficiaries are adversely impacted.
3. In this regard, your kind attention is invited to the page number 179 of Manual of Accounting Procedure Part-II-A and II-B dealing with the procedure of transfer of account after the death of the member — prescribes as follows:
“11.9 Where a Provident Fund account has not been transferred during the life time of the member on account of non-submission of transfer application or for any other reason, and if it is brought to the notice of Regional Provident Fund Commissioner about the earlier Provident Fund membership, the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner may arrange to get the account transferred from other Regional Office/Sub-Regional Offices without insisting for a transfer application and settle the deceased member’s account.”
4, Further attention is also invited to EDLI notification CG-DL-E29042021-226788 dated 28.04.2021 circulated vide Head Office letter No.27058 dated 29.04.2021. As per the amended EDLI Scheme continuous services of 12 months rendered with two different establishments shall also be counted for the purpose of calculating EDLI benefits. However this shall be possible only when the previous membership of the deceased worker is transferred to the present PF account.
5. Due to this amendment in EDLI Scheme, it has become even more crucial to ensure verification, flagging and merging of previous membership under a UAN to the present PF account so that the deceased worker’s family are not deprived of the eligible EDLI benefits stipulated as per the EDLI amendment.
6. In view of the above, it is directed that in general and particularly in cases of EDLI where the amount payable to the beneficiary of a deceased member is less than the minimum assurance benefit i.e. 2.5 Lakhs it must be ensured from MIS that the service rendered by the members under different MIDs, if any, have been transferred and taken into account for calculation of the payable benefit.
7. In addition to the above, coverage status of the concerned establishment/employer may also be looked into for any preponement in the date of coverage under EPF& MP Act, 1952.
(This is issued with the approval of CPFC)
Addl. Central P.F. Commissioner-HQ (Pension & EDLI)
Copy to: –
1. PS to CPFC
2. All ACC HQ and ACCs at HO for information.
3. Rajbhasha Section for providing Hindi Version.