Closure of PAO and Withdrawal of Cheque Drawing powers of CDDO: FinMin, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, Controller General of Accounts
Closure of PAO and Withdrawal of Cheque Drawing powers of CDDO: FinMin, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, Controller General of Accounts, Office Memorandum dated 08/04/2021
Ministry of Finance,
Department of Expenditure
Office of Controller General of Accounts
Mahalekha Niyantrak Bhawan,
E-Block, GPO Complex, INA, New Delhi
Subject: Closure of PAO and Withdrawal of Cheque Drawing powers of CDDO ~Reg.
Attention is drawn towards Para 18.104.22.168 & 3.1.1 of Civil Accounts Manual for creation/re-organization of PAO and delegation of cheque drawing powers to CDDO respectively. These provisions apply in the same manner in case of closure of PAO as well as withdrawal of Cheque drawing Powers of aCDDO. You are also aware that the PAOs have powers to with draw money from CFI, as such, a new PAO is created with due deliberation and proper justification.
2. In this regards, it has been observed that the various proposals on closure of PAOs being received from the respective field offices for the common reason either these PAO codes are not in operation for long time or the purpose of their creation are dispensed with in the Ministries/Departments concerned. The reason for closure of a PAO is also attributed to that the PAO proposed for closure was opened only for the purpose of incorporation of put through/transfer entry whereas the same is now being incorporated through respective PAOs.
3. In view of this, all the Pr. CCAs/CCAs/CAS(IC) of the Ministries/Departments are requested to ensure that the proposals for closure/deactivation of PAO/CDDO shall contain the requisite information prescribed under laid down procedures and in terms of the guidelines issued by this office, vide OM dated 14.09.2018 (copy enclosed), alongwith, following additional information:
- The copy of authority/approval which enabled them to create such PAO alongwith, due justification and the scenario/circumstances now changed to close the same. Reasons for non-operation of the PAO, in case the PAO is non-operational, alongwith period of exclusion of account of the said PAOs also needs to be furnished.
- The information regarding closure of Bank accounts in r/o the PAO proposed for deactivation is also required to be furnished. The approval of Financial Advisor (FA) of the Ministry is invariably required in the spirit of Rule 11 of CGA’s Receipt & Payment Rules, 1983.
4. All the proposals of closure of PAOs which do not meet the above parameters are required to be resubmitted afresh for further necessary action at this end.
Additional Controller General of Accounts
All Pr. CCAs/CCAs/CAs (IC) of the Ministries/ Deptts.
Copy to: PPS to CGA.
Source: Click here to view/download PDF