List of Holidays 2023 – DoP&T Order reg Gazetted and Restricted Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during year 2023 vide DoPT O.M. F.No.12/5/2022-JCA dated 16 June, 2022
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
Establishment (JCA) Section
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 16 June, 2022
Subject: Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during the year 2023- reg.
It has been decided that the holidays, as specified in the Annexure – I to this O.M., will be observed in all the Administrative Offices of the Central Government located at Delhi/ New Delhi during the year 2023. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/ her out of the list of Restricted Holidays specified at Annexure – II.
2. Central Government Administrative Offices located outside Delhi / New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays, to be chosen out of the 12 optional holidays indicated below at para 3.1:
- REPUBLIC DAY
- INDEPENDENCE DAY
- MAHATMA GANDHI’S BIRTHDAY
- BUDDHA PURNIMA
- CHRISTMAS DAY
- DUSSEHRA (VIJAY DASHMI)
- DIWALI (DEEPAVALI)
- GOOD FRIDAY
- GURU NANAK’ S BIRTHDAY
- IDU’L FITR
- IDU’L ZUHA
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI
- PROPHET MOHAMMAD’ S BIRTHDAY (ID-E-MILAD)
3.1. For offices located in New Delhi/ Delhi, three holidays are selected by the D/o Personnel & Training and for the offices located outside Delhi/ New Delhi three holidays are to be chosen by the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committee in the State Capitals, if necessary, in consultation with Coordination Committees at other places in the State, from the list indicated below. The final list, applicable uniformly to all Central Government offices within the concerned State, shall be notified accordingly and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in the festivals and dates, as indicated at Annexure -I and Annexure-II baring a few exceptions indicated at para 5.1 and 5.2 hereinafter. The 12 optional holidays are as follows:
- AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR DUSSEHRA
- JANAMASHTAMI (VAISHNAVI)
- RAM NAVAMI
- MAHA SHIVRATRI
- GANESH CHATURTHI / VINAYAK CHATURTHI
- MAKAR SANKARANTI
- RATH YATRA
- SRI PANCHAMI / BASANT PANCHAMI
- VISHU/ VAISAKHI / VAISAKHADI / BHAG BIHU/ MASHADI UGADI/ CHAITRA SUKLADI/ CHETI CHAND/ GUDI PADAVA / 1st NAVRATRA/ NAORAZ/ CHHATH POOJA/ KARVA CHAUTH.
3.2 No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays, initially declared, subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
4. The list of Restricted Holidays appended as annexure-II to this O.M. is meant for Central Government Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi. The Coordination Committees at the State Capitals may draw up separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance. However, the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are also to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi / New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Idu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, after ascertaining the position from the Govt. of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi / New Delhi, the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees at the State Capitals are authorised to change the date of holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments / Union Territories, in respect of Idu’lFitr, Idu’lZuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date in respect of the above occasions has to be declared at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement could be made through P.I.B/ T.V./ A.I.R. / Newspapers and the Heads of Department / Offices of the Central Government may take action according to such an announcement, without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6. During 2023, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Sunday, November 12, 2023 (Kartika 21). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.e., on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day”. In view of this, there is no objection if holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali Day) in the Central Government Offices in a State if in that State that day alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7. Central Government Organisations which include industrial, commercial and trading establishments would observe upto 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day and Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays / occasions may be determined by such establishments/ organisations themselves for the year 2023, subject to para 3.2 above.
8. Union Territory Administrations shall decide the list of holidays in terms of Instructions issued in this regard by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
9. In respect of Indian Missions abroad, the number of holidays may be notified in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s O.M. No.12/ 5/2002-JCA dated 17th December, 2002. In other words, they will have the option to select 14 (Fourteen) holidays of their own only after including in the list, three National Holidays and Id-ul-Zuha, Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, Milad -un Nabi or Id-e-Milad and Christmas Day included in the list of compulsory holidays and falling on days of weekly off.
10. In respect of Banks, the holidays shall be regulated in terms of the extant instructions issued by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
11. Hindi version will follow.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
LIST OF HOLIDAYS FOR THE YEAR 2023 TO BE OBSERVED IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
LIST OF RESTRICTED HOLIDAYS FOR THE YEAR 2023 IN RESPECT OF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
Source: Click to view/download PDF