Implementation of 7th CPC Over Time Allowance across Ministries/Departments: DoPT OM 19.06.2018 – Download Hindi and English OM
No.A-27016/ 03 / 2017 -Estt. (AL)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Block-IV, Old JNU Campus,
New Delhi – 110067,
Date: 19th June, 2018.
Subject: Implementation of the recommendation of 7th CPC on Over Time Allowance – reg.
The undersigned is directed to say that as per Dept. of Expenditure’s Resolution No. 11-1/2016-IC dated 06.07.2017, following is the decision of Government on Overtime Allowance (OTA):
“Ministries/ Departments to prepare a list of those staff coming under the category of ’Operational Staff’. Rates of Overtime Allowance not to be revised upwards”.
2. Further it has been clarified by the Dept. of Expenditure that the Government has decided that given the rise in the pay over the years, the recommendations of the 7th CPC to discontinue OTA for categories other than Operational Staff and industrial employees who are governed by statutory provisions may be accepted.
3. Accordingly, it has been decided to implement the aforesaid decision of the Government on Overtime Allowance across all the Ministries / Departments and attached and subordinate office of the Government of India. The following definition shall be used to define Operational Staff.
“All non-ministerial non-gazetted Central Government servants directly involved in smooth operation of the office including those tasked with operation of some electrical or mechanical equipment.”
4. The concerned Administration Wing of the Ministries / Departments will prepare a list of operational Staff with full justification based on the above parameters for inclusion of a particular category of staff in the list of operational staff with the approval of IS (Admn.) and Financial Adviser of the concerned Ministry / Department.
5. The grant of OTA may be linked to biometric attendance subject to the conditions mentioned below.
a) OTA should be paid only when his/ her senior officer directs the concerned employee(s) in writing for staying back in office to attend urgent nature of work.
b) The OTA will be calculated on the basis of biometric attendance.
c) The OTA for Staff Car Drivers should be linked with biometric system as normally, the designated parking is allotted in the office building. However, in cases where the parking lot is provided far from office, the Staff Car Driver would mark his/ her attendance while leaving from his office and a grace time of not exceeding 2 hours should be allowed to cover the distance travelled after leaving office, including the time to drop the officer and then reaching the parking lot. In such cases, calculation can be done from log books, duly verified by the officer concerned.
d) The OTA to field officials should be calculated on the basis of biometric attendance, as normally, such officers are given facility of official transport to attend the field work. Such officers are supposed to report in office before proceeding to field. In cases, where officials are required to attend the field work directly from home, they may be extended facility of official transport from home in lieu of transport allowance and OTA may be given on the basis of the log book of that vehicle, duly verified by their senior officers.
6. Since, the Government has decided not to revise the rates of OTA, the rates as prescribed in this Department’s OM dated 19th March, 1991 for Office Staff, Staff Car Drivers and Operative Staff will continue to operate subject to their fulfillment of the above conditions.
7. All the existing instructions, except “to the extent superseded by this O.M., will continue to remain in force.
8. These instructions will be applicable with effect from 01 July, 2017.
9. In so far as persons serving in the Indian Audit and Accounts Department are concerned, these instructions are being issued after consultation with the Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
10. Hindi version will follow.
(Pramod Kumar Jaiswal)
Under Secretary to the Government of India
Click the following links to view/download the PDF