GOVERNMENT OF INDIA MINISTRY OF EARTH SCIENCES RAJYA SABHA STARRED QUESTION NO-286 ANSWERED ON-18.03.2013 Modernization of Indian Meterolo
STARRED QUESTION NO-286
Modernization of Indian Meterological Department
*286. SHRIMATI JAYA BACHCHAN:
Will the Minister of EARTH SCIENCES be pleased to state:
(a) whether the current weather forecasting system in the country is equivalent to International standards;
(b) whether Government has any plan to modernize the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD);
(c) if so, the details thereof; and
(d) if not, the reasons therefor?
MINISTER FOR MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY AND MINISTRY OF EARTH SCIENCES (SHRI S. JAIPAL REDDY)
(a) to (d): A Statement is laid on the Table of the House.
STATEMENT LAID ON THE TABLE OF THE RAJYA SABHA IN REPLY (a) to (d) TO STARRED QUESTION NO. *286 REGARDING “MODERNIZATION OF INDIAN METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT” TO BE ANSWERED ON MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2013
• Observing systems such as Automatic Weather Stations (AWS), Automatic Rain Gauges (ARG), Doppler Weather Radars (DWR) etc.
• Monitoring/early warning systems
• Analysis-visualization-product dissemination systems
• High Performance Computing (HPC)
• Communication/IT systems
• Real-time data assimilation-forecast systems etc.
Source: Rajya Sabha Q&A
Stay connected with us via Facebook, Google+ or Email Subscription.