Clarification on physical presence of witnesses at the time of acceptance of deceased claim case: DoP
SB Order No. 31/2020
e.F. No. 113-02/2019-SB
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts (F.S. Division)
Dak Bhawan, New Delhi
All Head of Circles/Regions,
Subject:- Clarification on physical presence of witnesses at the time of acceptance of deceased claim case.
Kindly refer to the SB Order No. 31/2020, issued vide this office letter of even number dated 28.08.2020 on the settlement of deceased cl ai m cases. This office has been receiving various representations from nomi nee/claimant that post offices are insisting for physical presence of two witnesses at the time of acceptance of deceased claim case.
This issue has been examined in detail and accordingly, I am directed to clarify that the physical presence of witnesses is not required, if self attested photocopy of ID/Address proof of witnesses containing signature of the witness concerned are produced along with other claim documents.
lD and Address proof of witnesses may be taken as prescribed in KYC master circular issued vide SB Order 14/2012 and GSPR-2018. A list is enclosed for ready reference.
It is requested that this clarification may be circulated to all concerned including CBS/non CBS Post Offices to avoid public inconvenience.
This issues with approval of the Competent
Assistant Director (SB-II)
Enclosed: – As above.
- Sr. PPS to Secretary (Posts)
- PS to Director General Postal
- PPS/ PS to DG (Co-ordination)/Member (Banking)/ Member (O)/ Member (P)/ Member (Planning & HRD)/ Member (PLI)/ Member (Tech)/AS & FA
- Addl. Director General APS, New Delhi
- Chief General Manager, BD Directorate/Parcel Directorate/ PU Directorate
- Sr. Deputy Director General (Vigilance) & CVO)/Deputy Director General (PAF)
- Director, RAKNPA/GM, CEPT/Directors of all PTCs
- Director General P & T (Audit), Civil Lines, New Delhi
- Secretary, Postal Services Board/ All Deputy Directors General
- All General Managers (Finance) I Directors Postal Accounts/DDAP
- Chief Engineer (Civil), Postal Directorate
- All Sections of Postal Directorate
- All recognized Federations I Unions/ Associations
- GM, CEPT for uploading the order on the India Post webite.
- MOF (DEA), NS-ll, North Block, New
- Joint Director & HOD, ICCW Building, 4 Deendayal Upadhyay Marg, New Delhi-110002
- Guard File
- Spare Copies
List of documents may be accepted as ID and Address proof of witnesses
|SI.No.||For Proof of Identity||For Proof of Address|
|I||Aadhaar Card||Aadhaar Card|
|3||Driving License||Driving License|
Election Commission Voter ID Card
|Election Commission voter ID Card|
Ration Card with Photo, for the person whose photo is affixed.
|Ration Card with address|
|6||Post Office Identity Card, Identity card from Central/State
Government or PSU e.g., PPO, BPL card, Job card issued under MG-NREGA duly signed by an officer of State Government.
Photo Identity Card having address (of Central Govt./PSU or state Govt./PSU)
Certificate of address with photo from Govt. recognized educational institutions( for students, studying at present)
Certificate of address with photo from Govt. recognized educational institutions (for students, studying at present)
Salary Slip of reputed Employer with current address.
Letter issued by National Population Register containing details of name and address.
Electricity, telephone, post-paid mobile, piped-gas, water bill (not more than 2 months old)
|11||Property or municipal tax receipt.|
letter of allotment of accommodation from employer issued by the State Government or Central Government Departments, statutory or regulatory bodies, public sector undertakings , scheduled commercial banks, financial institutions and listed companies and leave and license agreements with such employers allotting official accommodation:
Bank or Post Office Passbook/statement with current address.
Application for settlement of an account of the deceased depositor by nominee or legal heirs under National (Small) Savings Scheme