Details of Recruitment/Examinations conducted by the UPSC, SSC, Department of Posts, RRBs and IBPS GOVERNMENT OF INDIA MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC
Details of Recruitment/Examinations conducted by the UPSC, SSC, Department of Posts, RRBs and IBPS
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS
(DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL AND TRAINING)
STARRED QUESTION NO. 40
(TO BE ANSWERED ON 03.02.2021)
MEDIUM OF RECRUITMENT EXAMS
*40. MS. S. JOTHIMANI:
Will the PRIME MINISTER be pleased to state:
(a) the details of recruitment exams conducted in Hindi and English languages;
(b) the details of recruitment exams conducted in the languages under 8th Schedule of the Constitution, especially in Tamil;
(c) the number of applicants taking the exam and appointments made during the last three years, Statewise, especially in Tamil Nadu;
(d) whether the Government is planning to increase the number of recruitment exams conducted in regional languages;
(e) if so, the details thereof and if not, the reasons therefor; and
(f) the reasons for not considering Tamil and other regional languages as medium of examination as frequently as Hindi and English?
MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS AND MINISTER OF STATE IN THE PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE (DR. JITENDRA SINGH)
(a) to (f): A statement is laid on the Table of the House.
STATEMENT REFERRED TO IN REPLAY TO LOK SABHA STARRED QUESTION NO. 40 FOR 03.02.2021 BY MS. S. JOTHIMANI REGARDING MEDIUM OF RECRUITMENT EXAMS:
There are more than 20 recruitment agencies in the Central Government. These recruitment agencies conduct recruitment as per the recruitment rules framed and notified for each service/post. No centralized data of recruitment examinations conducted by these recruitment agencies is maintained.
2. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is responsible for conducting recruitment to higher civil services in the Central Government, including the All India Services. Direct recruitment by the UPSC is done through 16 open competitive examinations annually as well as by selection
3. Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is responsible for recruitment to Group B (non- Gazetted) posts, Group B (Gazetted) posts, as are exempted from consultation with UPSC, and Group C posts in various Ministries/Departments of the Government of India and their attached and subordinate offices. The SSC conducts 7 mandated recruitment examinations, as also recruitment/examinations on Memorandum of Understanding-basis for the Central Armed Police Forces and some other departments.
4. Preliminary examinations conducted by the UPSC and SSC comprise multiple-choice objective type question papers in Hindi and English, wherein the candidate has to tick mark the appropriate answer. However, in the Civil Services (Mains) Examination conducted by UPSC, the candidate has the option to write his answers in any regional language, except in case of language and literature paper. The SSC also conducts Paper-II of Multi-Tasking (Non-Technical) Staff Examination in all the languages included in the Eighth Schedule.
5. Recruitment to junior level posts in the Indian Railways is done through a Computer Based Test by 21 Railway Recruitment Boards (RRBs) located all over the Country. The question paper for the RRB competitive examinations is objective type with multiple choices. In addition to English, question papers are set in 15 languages listed in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution of India.
6. The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) conducts all Common Recruitment Process (CRP) Exams for Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) and Public Sector Banks (PSBs) for Probationary Officers/ Management Trainees, Clerks and Specialists, in Hindi and English. As per the policy laid down in this regard, in Common Recruitment Process of RRBs, online Main Examinations of Officers Scale I and Office Assistants (Multipurpose), the candidates are provided with an option to choose the medium of examination from the list of 13 regional languages (including Tamil), relevant to the State/ UT, in addition to Hindi and English.
7. Department of Posts conducts direct recruitment from open market for the posts of Multi- Tasking Staff, Postman and Mail Guard. In the recruitment rules of MTS, Postman and Mail Guard, knowledge of local language of the respective Postal Circle is one of the essential educational qualifications. In examinations conducted in a decentralized manner by the Postal
Circles for MTS, Postman and Mail Guard, question papers are prepared in English, Hindi and local language of the respective Postal Circle, where Hindi is not a local language.
8. The details of recruitment examinations conducted by these agencies during the last three
years are given in Appendix “A”.
9. In August, 2020, the National Recruitment Agency (NRA) has been set up by the Government to conduct the first-level screening of candidates through a Common Eligibility Test (CET) at the Graduate, the Higher Secondary and the Matriculate levels, for the SSC, RRBs and the IBPS. It is envisaged that the NRA may conduct the CET in regional languages included in the Eighth Schedule, as per requirement, subject to adequate number of candidates opting to take test in the regional languages.
Details of Recruitment/Examinations conducted by the UPSC, SSC, Department of Posts, RRBs and IBPS during the last three years (2017-2020)
|Direct Recruitment by Exam||Direct Recruitment by Selection|
|Year||No. of candidates applied||No. of candidates applied|
|Year||No. of candidates appeared||No. of candidates recommended for appointment|
(State-wise data is not maintained by SSC)
III. Department of Posts
|All India||In Tamil Nadu|
|Year||No. of applicants||No. of appointments||No. of applicants||No. of appointments|
|2020||58344||2318||7795||252 + Partly in process|
IV. RRB (South Railway only)
|Year||Recruitment made by RRB for Southern Railway|
A. FOR REGIONAL RURAL BANKS
|OFFICE ASSISTANT/OFFICERS SCALE I/OFFICER|
|PAN INDIA||TAMIL NADU|
|RRB||Year||TOTAL APPEARED||TOTAL ALLOTTED||APPEARED||ALLOTTED|
B. FOR PUBLIC SECTOR BANKS
|CLERICAL CADRE/PROBATIONARY OFFICER (PAN INDIA)|
|PAN INDIA||TAMIL NADU|
|CRB||Year||TOTAL APPEARED||TOTAL ALLOTTED||APPEARED||ALLOTTED|