Transport Allowance in case of Physically Handicapped person at double rate and deduction of the same: Item No. 24/19/SC Standing Committee Meeting
AGENDA DISCUSSED DURING THE STANDING COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 26.2.2021 – DECISIONS TAKEN
A. Unresolved Items of the Earlier SCM held on 7.3.2019
Item Nos. and Ministry / Deptt.: Item No. 24/19/SC D/o Expenditure
Subject: Transport Allowance in case of Physically Handicapped person at double rate and deduction of the same if one is on short leave may be dispensed with.
Decision in the Meeting of 7.3.2019:
Joint Secretary (Personnel) stated that as per Department of Expenditure’s OM No. 21/ 5/ 2017-E.II(B) dated 07.07 .2017, Transport Allowance at double the normal rates is admissible to Physically disabled employees, viz. Visually impaired, Orthopedically Handicapped , Deaf and Dumb/ hearing impaired and also to employees suffering from spinal deformity. Otherwise, the general conditions for drawal of Transport Allowance at normal rates apply equally to all Govt. employees. Hence, Transport Allowance at double the normal rates will not be admissible for the calendar months (s) wholly covered by leave for persons with disabilities. In this regard, the Department · of Expenditure has not issued any other instructions. He further stated that there are no instructions with regard to having attendants for handicapped employees and if there is any such instances then that should be brought to the notice of Department of Expenditure. The Staff Side agreed to these suggestions.
Status as on 25.02.2021: Department of Expenditure has informed through their letter dated 16.02.2021 that the
- Transport Allowance (TA) is paid to Central Government employees to compensate for the cost incurred on account of commuting between residence and office.
- Physically disabled employees as mentioned in this Department’s order, are paid TA at double the normal rates as these employees generally require assistance to commute.
- The condition of drawal of TA and of TA at double the normal rates are same. As per existing for grant of TA at normal rates/TA at double the normal rate, the Allowance shall not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leave.
- TA will be admissible for full month.
- TA at normal rates / TA at double rates is already granted liberally to Central Government employees/disabled Central Government employees, who even attend office for a single day in a calendar month.
- The Staff Side may bring it to the notice of the Government the cases of hardship. So far, no such case has been in the notice of the Government.
Office of the Indian Audit and Accounts informed through their letter dated 19.02.2021 that Payment of double TA to the Physically Handicapped employees is made as per the extent provisions of DoPT in IA&AT. No deduction of proportionate amount of Transport Allowance payable to persons with disabilities is in practice in IA&AD.
Hence, this item may be treated as closed.
Discussions/Decision on 26.02.2021: The Staff Side agreed to close this item.
Hence, the item may be treated as closed.