Proposals for conversion/upgradation of Sub Post Office into Head Post Office and bifurcation of Head Post Office
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
New Delhi – 110 001
Dated: 26th August, 2021
All Chief Postmasters General / Postmasters General
Subject: Proposals for conversion/upgradation of Sub Post Office into Head Post Office and bifurcation of Head Post Office- Reg.
With reference to the above mentioned subject, this is to state that as per extant instructions, issued vide this office letter no. 33-61/82-PE-I dated 09.11.1982 and reiterated vide letter no. 14-12/99-PE-I dated 11.08.2000, all the proposals, fulfilling the prescribed criteria (copy enclosed), for conversion/upgradation of Sub Post Office into Head Post Office and bifurcation of Head Post Office are required to be referred to the Directorate for approval.
2. However, it has been noticed that the proposals received from the Circles contain insufficient/incomplete information which are crucial for proper examination of the proposal.
3. Therefore, it is requested to ensure that all the proposals for conversion / upgradation of Sub Post Office into Head Post Office and bifurcation of Head Post Office being referred to the Directorate should invariably contain the following:-
(i) Proposal should fulfill the prescribed criteria (copy enclosed), for conversion/upgradation of Sub Post Office into Head Post Office and bifurcation of Head Post Office.
(ii) Full justification for conversion of Sub-Post Office/bifurcation of the HO.
(iii) Name of the Sub-Post Office proposed for conversion/upgradation into head office with the name of the head office it is presently attached with.
(iv) Name of the Revenue District/Districts with its/their headquarters in which the Sub-Post Office proposed for conversion/upgradation into head office and its present head office are situated.
(v) Is there a head office at the district headquarters, if yes, name of the HO(s) alongwith with number of SOs attached to it(them).
(vi) Sketch map showing the bifurcation of jurisdiction of present HO and proposed HO.
(vii) Number and Names of SOs attached with the (a) present HO, (b) residual HO and (c) proposed HO.
(viii) Is the proposed HO conveniently situated and well connected by rail and bus routes.
(ix) No. of active and dormant Accounts in the (a) present HO, (b) residual HO and (c) proposed HO.
(x) Arrangement of accommodation for the proposed HO which should be in accordance with the Schedule of Accommodation.
(xi) Staff strength in the present and proposed HO.
(xii) Arrangement of all the posts required for the proposed HO. No new post shall be created for the proposed Division. Circle should arrange all the posts by way of redeployment from within the Circle.
(xiii) Quantified financial implication involved in conversion/upgradation of SO/bifurcation of HO separately indicating recurring and non recurring expenditure.
(xiv) ECR calculation before and after creation of proposed HO.
(xv) Benefits to the Department (in terms of Revenue, Administration, staff satisfaction etc.) and to members of Public.
(xvi) Concurrence of CIFA and approval of Chief PMG.
Encl: as above.
Assistant Director General (PE-I)
Tele No. 23044768
Chapter 52 – STANDARDS FOR CONVERSION OF LSG SUB POST OFFICE INTO HEAD POST OFFICE AND BIFURCATION OF HEAD POST OFFICE
- Each district should have a head post office provided a minimum of 20 sub post offices can be attached to it. In the case of backward areas or places where there will be a definite improvement in financing sub-post offices/branch post offices, a lower standard may be adopted, subject to the approval of the Directorate.
- If there is no HO in a district , opening of HO can be considered, if at least 20 SOs in the same district can be attached with advantage, to the proposed HO irrespective of the fact whether parent HO has 60 SOs or not. It has, however, to be cnsured that such up gradation docs not bring the number of SOs in account with residuary HO below 20.
- An existing HO should be bifurcated, if the numbcr of sub offices attached to it exceeds 60. It should however, be ensured that as a result of the change neither the new nor old HO has less than 20 sub offices attached to it.
Note : Sub-Offices include Departmental Sub — Offices justified purely on the workload basis.
(DG P & T No 33-15/71-P & I dtd 22-12-1979 and PRB dt 12-8-1983)
Source: Click here to view/download the PDF Upgradation of Sub Post Office ECE_5809