Problems in use of UMID Card in Private Hospitals – Founder MD RailTel Corp. writes to CRB/CEO, MoR with suggestions
A. K Chopra,
GM, CORE (Retd.) / Founder MD RailTel Corp.
Mr. V. K. Tripathi,
CRB/CEO, Ministry of Railways, Rail Bhawan.
New Delhi. 110001
Re: Problems in use of UMID Card in Private Hospitals
Dear Mr. Tripathi,
Railway Board has issued directions for use of UMID card issued to all Railway Employees including Retired employees vide above referred letter. It was encouraging to note that Railway’s empanelled all important private hospitals in various cities.
While visiting Max Hospital Saket, as follow up for yearly check-up of my Pace Maker (it was provided with due approval of Central Hospital Northern Railways in May 2017), the hospital reception apprised me that my UMID card is not valid, as they are no more on Northern Railway’s panel. But they are on panel of North Central Railway (NCR) and my UMID card is not valid for NCR. Railway Board’s list still indicates approval of Max Saket, New Delhi until 31.12.2022.
It is surprising that while CGHS scheme of Central Government does not distinguish the employee /hospital and location, Railways have chosen to follow a complicated and expensive procedure and also denying proper service to its retired employees.
It is requested that issue be re-examined to mitigate the problems faced by senior citizens of Railways. I would like to make following suggestions for your urgent consideration: –
- Respective Zonal Railways only should approve the private hospitals in its jurisdiction
- This approval should be applicable to all the Indian Railway employees, working/ Retired anywhere in the country using UMID card.
- Necessary debits can be adjusted between the Railways in case the UMID Card holder is from another Zone.
- No one should be denied the medical facilitics in the private hospitals and UMID card should be honoured as per CGHS rates where Railways do not approve the medical treatment.
- To avoid duplicity of approvals. Railways should consider the approval of hospitals as per CGHS, issued by Ministry of Health with clearly defining the financing unit of Railways for payments to the concerned hospital.
May kindly consider its early implementation.
With Warm Regards,
Ph.: +91991 1375485; 01129234034
E. Mail: akchopra[at]yahoo.com
Dated: 28th September 2022
Copy to Dr. Prasanna Kumar DG, RHS, Railway Board for information and suitable action.
Click here to view/download the PDF