Clarification for selecting of applicants who secured equal weightage points on the 100 points scale in merit: Compassionate Appointment
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs
Gr. Floor, Hudco Vishal Building,
Bhikaji Cama Place, RK Puram, New Delhi-66,
(i) DGHRD, (HRM-II) ,
Customs & Central Excise, 507,
Deep Shikha, Rajendra Place,
New Delhi- 110 008
(ii) The All Cadre Controlling Authorities
Under Central Board of Indirect Tax & Customs
Subject: – Clarification for selecting of applicants who secured equal weightage points on the 100 points scale in merit -reg.
Please refer to Board ‘s letter F.No.A.12012 / 52/ 2018-Ad.IJI B dated 15th May, 2019 wherein a standard operating procedure based on a 100-point scale was circulated for compassionate appointment to ensure transparency and maintain uniformity and to avoid litigation in the selection process.
2. It has been reported to the Board by one CCA that while applying 100 points scale parameters, as mentioned in SOP, some candidates have equal marks in merit and Cadre Controlling Authority is unable to decide the m erit of such candidates in case of tie of marks secured by some candidates. The matter has been deliberated in the Board to resolve such situation.
3. After examination the issue in detail, it is felt that the tie breaking factor can be per dependant available income e. total of first three financial parameters prescribed in SoP (Pension-annualised, total terminal bencfils and annual income of earning members and income from property) divided by total number of dependants (spouse, parents, unmarried daughters, minor children, unmarried major son below 25 years and dependant major sons who are physically/ mentally challenged). The lesser the per dependant available income, the higher the rank amongst the applicants whose scores had a tie.
4. In case of tie even after applying the factor of per dependant available income, then the left-over service of Government Servant can be conside This is suggested as it is felt that longer the left-over service of the deceased, the more is the impact on the family. Applicants related to Government servant with higher left-over service would be considered over the one with lesser left-over service. In case of tie even then, the next factor can be age of the applicant, with elder applicants given preference .
5. The tie breaking factor(s) in the order indicated above, should be used only to decide relative merit of the applicants scoring same points on 100- point scale and only if the applicants scoring same points cannot be accommodated against available All the above details are already included in the SOP and hence would be readily available with CCAs in case of a tie.
6. It is requested to offer your comments/ suggestions, if any, on the proposed formula to resolve the Tie cases not later than 26th Nov, 2020.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
Copy to: The Director General System & Data Management, New Delhi.