Confirmation/ Continuation of ECHS Membership to the existing ECHS Beneficiaries of Army Postal Service (APS) – Executive Instructions
Health Scheme (ECHS)
Adjutant General’s Branch
Integrated HQ of MoD
Near Gopinath Circle
Delhi Cantt – 110010
26 Apr 2023
EXECUTIVE INSTRUCTIONS : CONFIRMATION/ CONTINUATION OF ECHS MEMBERSHIP TO THE EXISTING ECHS BENEFICIARIES OF ARMY POSTAL SERVICE (APS)
1. Please refer to Government of India, Ministry of Defence, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare D (WE/Res-l) letter No 22(01)/2020-D(WE/Res-I) dated O06 Apr 2023 forwarded vide Central Org ECHS letter No B/49701-PR/AG/ECHS/2023 dt 06 Apr 2023 (copy attached).
2. Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS) was introduced vide Government of India, Ministry of Defence letter No 22(1)/01/US(WE)/D(Res) dated 30 Dec 2002. The scheme is entitled only to those persons who were meeting twin criteria of being ESM and drawing pension from Defence. The benefit of the scheme was also extended to eligible Army Postal Service (APS) personnel.
3. On 17 Nov 2016, an order was issued by Government of India, Ministry of Defence, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare letter No 22D(03)/2015AVE/D(Res) dated 17 Nov 2016, stating that pension/ disability pension and family pensioners mentioned in Para 2 of Ministry of Defence letter No 22(1)/01/US(WE)/D(Res) dt 30 Dec 2002 means only the defence pensions drawn from Controller of Defence Accounts. As a result, the APS personnel who do not draw their pension from Defence Estimates through CDA became ineligible for ECHS membership.
4. With the introduction of 64 KB cards, the existing card holders as well as some new APS personnel applied for either upgradation of the 16 KB/32 KB card or for issue of fresh 64 KB card. In accordance with the provisions of letter dt 17 Nov 2016 mentioned above, those APS personnel who applied for 64 KB cards were denied membership.
5. Due to various petitions from those who were given ECHS membership earlier and were denied later based on letter dt 17 Nov 2016, Central Organisation, ECHS pursued a case with Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare to allow continuation of ECHS membership to those APS personnel who were granted ECHS membership prior to 17 Nov 2016 and who retired from the APS on completion of terms of engagement of the Army after secondment from Department of posts without reversion to the Department of Posts.
6. MoD vide their letter under ref have concurred to the proposal. Details of sanction granted by Ministry of Defence, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare is as under:-
(a) Grant of ECHS membership to the existing ECHS beneficiaries of Army Postal Service holding 16 KB/32 KB ECHS card or temporary slip and joined ECHS prior to 17 Nov 2016 without reversion to the Department of Posts.
(b) The eligible APS retirees, including their eligible dependents as per ECHS order, will continue to avail ECHS benefits.
(c) The APS personnel should not be members of CGHS in the retired personnel category and also not in receipt of Fixed Medical Allowance.
(d) This is an onetime measure granted to the above ECHS beneficiaries of APS and should not be quoted as a precedence.
7. All other procedure and policies of ECHS will be applicable to above mentioned categories in letter and spirit. All relevant details are hosted on the ECHS website.
8. This information may be disseminated to the environment for information of all ECHS beneficiaries under your jurisdiction.
Offg Dir (Ops & Coord)
ECHS scheme is highly appreciated